Thursday, July 17, 2008

How are you today?

How do you answer this question? Well, you could be totally English about it and insist "I am well, and you?" (Or, you really could be, and I am incredibly happy for you that that is the case :) )Or, you could launch into a detailed description of how you twisted your ankle two weeks ago and how the occasional mis-step causes you great discomfort.
But really, are you well? -In the former case. In the latter, it is clear you aren't, and the discomfort itself becomes communicable in a way.
Coming back to those who are well, now, when you say you are 'well', do you mean you are in the pink of blooming health or do I take it to mean you are feeling rather jolly today? Hmm...
As for those who aren't, here's what I wish- I wish that the question always prompted an introspection of one's state of mind. Specifically an effort to separate the effect of a long, tiring day from the cheerful disposition that might be buried underneath. (I am convinced it is, it is a matter of digging deep to unearth it. Or digging enough to plant it, if not!) Happiness is a state of mind after all. So I guess I am wishing everyone were truly happy, deep within, despite everythig life throws at them day after day.
That is not to say, one could never get bogged down by worry, disappointment, or sheer fatigue. Nor is it to say that one should never confide those feelings to a dear one. But the very act of believing that happiness is internal and can be readily tapped into at such moments, must make the load lighter to bear, eh? And what a wonderful vector that would be to infect others with!
So go on and be merry my dears!
ps: I am doing very well today, thank you :)

No comments: