Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Courage and acceptance

Here's a thought for this week:

"Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." - Saint Francis of Assisi

A prayer so simple, and yet contained in it is a message of such humility and surrender to the Lord above. Indeed, it is only He who can grant us the wisdom, courage and forbearance we need, and only He can deliver us from all trials, strengthening our convictions, renewing our faith and our very spirits.
This Saint of Assisi has been a source of inspiration to me through my years in school and continues to be to this day...

4 comments:

Nikhil said...

Another beautiful prayer of his -

"Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy."

Amrithaa said...

Yes, it was going to be my next quote; it's my favorite prayer. It has been set to music and was certainly the hymn closest to my heart in school.

Amrithaa said...

Still is :)

Amrithaa said...

In fact the beauty of the prayer (as a hymn) is in this refrain:
"Oh Master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled, as to console
To be understood, as to understand
To be loved, as to love with all my soul"
The essence of being an instrument of His peace really is to aspire to be a source of strength, love, courage and wisdom for others, as a service, than to ask for those qualities or attributes for oneself; in other words to aspire to of service than to be served oneself.
It concludes thus,"It is in giving that we receive." And it is :)