Friday, September 19, 2008

Out-of-the-box

For many years now, once every few months, I would try testing my ability to resist temptation or my favorite impulses, be it for food, entertainment, word-usage, colors, what not, just as a way to see just how much I can rein in my urge to give in to a habit or simply to force myself to try something new, a flavor, a hobby, or challenge a pre-conceived notion or check the extent of my reliance on something. And it has worked beautifully in the past and many good things have come of it. For instance, I discovered the joys of the radio after the TV was turned off. My day could begin without coffee (!), I could wake up without the alarm, (beige is an under-sung color) tomato juice simply delicious...
The one thing I haven't subjected to this test is my impulse, nay, near-addiction to checking my inbox every 10 seconds! So, here goes. For the next few weeks, I shall begin by only checking email once an hour (Yeah! I know! What has the world come to! Sigh).
Next up (if I don't die of withdrawal symptoms): rely on my (ever-faithful) memory to dial numbers on the mobile (drat it all) phone.
Happy weekend my dears! :)

2 comments:

Bright Butterfly said...

How's this working out so far? An ambitious and worthwhile goal, for sure!

Amrithaa said...

It's been pretty successful so far. I've been uber-productive since I stopped checking my inbox every 2seconds and have been ergonomically happier too! :)