Friday, April 03, 2009

An Idea...

Years ago, I don’t remember how many, as a part of a class project to understand protection of intellectual property, a friend and I were paired up to make a mock patent application. Simple and fun, but we had to come up with an idea; novel and practical. We came up with many frivolous ideas, some prototypes and many modifications to existing products. Among the list of things I came up with (in addition to thermal regulation in jackets, nasally attached strips of air freshening spray;some of which were wish lists, with no conception of the how-to) was a rear view mirror attached to spectacles. I have been prone to running into things and people for as long as I can remember, and tend to walk so quickly as if my life depended on it. And figured I could really use this thing, especially as I turn corners and whirl around when I change my mind, which I also do a lot. At any rate, we finally settled on something else to present for the purposes of the class, but I kept going through this process of need-finding in my head for a while after.

Yesterday, years later, as I stood outside the bike car, waiting to get off the Caltrain, I saw two bikers preparing to unlock their bikes and I kept staring at their goggles, at first not quite understanding what it was that was protruding from it to one side. And then a cry of delight escaped me when recognition hit! I am sure I startled a good many passengers standing in line and likely made the bikers squirm as I grinned broadly, looking somewhere in the direction of their goggles and helmet. But I didn’t care.


All I have to say is, don’t be afraid to tell the world when a new idea hits you. Do not convince yourself of its stupidity before you have tried it out on a few discerning ears. I look at it this way (now obviously, and even now not always, I confess) if it is good, there are people out there who could use it. If it is not, it can only get better.


Happy Friday my dears!

2 comments:

magicfarawaytree said...

Haha that's awesome! I have a similar experience with something less spectacular-tea bags. Several years ago in my head I thought about how amazing it would be to have ginger and cardamom in tea bags, so people wouldn't have to add them in separately (not that I ever made tea myself then)! And when I saw the myriad choices of flavoured teas I was so happy that they existed!! Now I'm looking forward to finding wipers for spectacles so I can still wear them and walk/bike/ride a scooter around when it's raining!

Amrithaa said...

hi there!!! :) gosh! i know, wipers for glasses would be fabulous!