Wednesday, August 13, 2008

the things we do...

My evening drive back home is the time to catch up on news I missed in the morning and get a load of the breaking news- NPR. Headlines from around the world is delivered by BBC World, told crisply with just the right dose of information to last me my ride, so I can read up the full story at leisure. Good stuff.

Here's the kind of thing you might hear at about 4.30 pm: (My recollection of it at any rate).
"The latest from the Illinois State fair's Hog calling competition...." ??!!
"And we have the winner with us on air, who is also, the first female to win this contest."
!
"So tell us Doris, how did you learn to hog call?...."

I was really confused at this point, but I must admit, wide awake and fairly intrigued.

"So can you give a short performance for our listeners? They cannot see you, but I am sure they would love to hear it." Yes, indeed. What the heck's going on here?!

A series of grunts and oinks followed, at which point the anchor said, "That's just amazing! How did you look when you did that?" "Oh, my lips were all curled up and I had my fingers in my mouth, and I must have looked like a pig myself."

"(Laughs) Wow! Now that can't be a compliment." "(Chortles). No, not really."

Right.

I say, the rest of the animal kingdom must find us humans rather strange.

7 comments:

Nikhil said...

are u serious? this actually happened??

Amrithaa said...

Yep. I don't think I could imagine such nuttiness :D. It's real:
http://current.com/items/89196182_first_female_hog_calling_winner

Amrithaa said...

__calling_winner
is what got cropped.

Bright Butterfly said...

I heart NPR precisely for its coverage of such random stories.

Nikhil said...

must be so uplifting... i so envy the two of u... :)

Amrithaa said...

Please!!! Don't you appreciate the humor in it? It totally cracked me up. I mean where else would you hear of the most bizarre things that go on around us? Nicely wedged between Russia's medieval take-over program...priceless...NPR rocks!

Nikhil said...

yes yes of course i appreciate the humor of it... the subtler forms of sarcasm are clearly lost on some people...